Sunday, May 13, 2012

FOREVER YOUNG
Old age would make me sinister
Full of wisdom and prone to give negative comments
Which I would defend like a barrister
I would dwell in the past like long gone comets
The future hazy and not guaranteed


Middle age would make me stressful
Full of responsibilities but limited opportunities
All the time I will have my hands full
school fees to pay and teenagers to raise
Calculated risks so that I dont end up a fool

Youth made me born free
Risking everything to fit in
Fully Concious of my apparels and less for the land's decree
Marijuana and alcohol in our young minds we invited in
Fell in love in thoughts and in reality
Broke girl's hearts,as we searched for perfection
Overlooking all the care and their affection
Youth made me self conscious
Tribe ,race and ethnicity I came to discover
Capitalism or communism I chose revolution
It will take time to recover
Because we are polarized along ethnic lines
No nationalists standing in the frontlines
I watched as we bled our flag red
With matchetes choped our peace to pieces
Watched children in IDP camps freezing
Far from warmth of their homes which was scotched and smoking

That is why...
I want to be Forever Young
Innocent with nothing making sense
Play with bees and wasps
Cry and do nothing when I am stung
Smile at strangers, their fingers my tiny hands clasp
I want to be Forever young
Make friends with all kids in my block
Our enemity fueled by toys and sweets
Not tribes and rhetorics from politics
Value friendship and make the bonds tight
And carry that with me to the future
I wanna be forever young. 


Kamal Ogudah 2012
©

No comments:

Post a Comment